How to end your care agreement

When you sign up to a care provider or care home, they’ll explain in your contract how much notice you need to give to bring your care to an end.

Once you’ve let your provider know you no longer need care from them, you’ll still need to pay for the service or room until the end of your notice period. If you’re in a care home, you’ll only need to pay for the room during the time it’s empty.



If the care provider needs to end your care

Sometimes, the care provider may need to stop their service. For example, if they need to do a major care home refurbishment or if your needs have developed to a point where you require a more specialist care home. If this happens, you’ll be given at least 28 days’ notice in writing, so you have time to find alternative care.

If this has happened to you or someone you’re helping you may need to look for a new care home or home care provider.

Search for care local to you

Support and guidance after losing a loved one

If you need to end a care arrangement because someone close to you has passed away, then these specialist help and advice services may be helpful for you:

Managing someone else’s finances at a difficult time can feel like an overwhelming challenge. If you’re responsible for looking after someone’s estate, then it can be useful to ask for Independent Financial Advice. Advice is a good suggestion for anybody receiving an inheritance to help them make the best possible financial choices.



Care Concierge

If you would like some expert advice on finding a new care provider, resolving a dispute or exploring funding options then you might benefit from talking with our Care Concierge team.

Need help?

Understanding mental capacity

Losing your mental capacity can be a daunting prospect, however the sooner you plan on how to deal with it, the more in control you can be.

Need legal advice?

Solicitors for the Elderly are an independent specialist group of lawyers who support and make a difference to older people. They may be able to help you with Power of Attorney and Deputyship.

Find local help to you

Whether you need some help at home, or want to find out more about Care Homes in your area, our tool can help.